"I'm sorry, but do you just ride up and down the fricking elevator all day? Is that your fricking job‽" ― Kelly Grayson[source]Dann is a Lieutenant and Engineer stationed on the USS Orville. According to Admiral Halsey, he was stationed aboard the Orville prior to the promotion of Ed Mercer as Captain. His species, while common in the Planetary Union, is currently unnamed.
In the winter of 2420, Dann suggests to Captain Ed Mercer and Commander Kelly Grayson that the ship should have music in the elevators. With their blessing, Dann adds a selection of music that plays in the ship's elevators.
Months later, Dann approaches Lieutenants Gordon Malloy and John LaMarr at a farewell reception for Chief Engineer Steve Newton. Malloy and LaMarr explain that they have placed a piece of Lieutenant Yaphit in the reception buffet as a practical joke. Dann laughs and hints that he wants to be included in future pranks.
Days later, Dann introduces himself to the engineering team as a man who loves refinishing antique furniture and banana walnut pancakes, but his introduction is cut short when Yaphit calls the activity "stupid."
Dann is social and friendly, if a bit awkward. He often tries to make friends with others and be involved in their conversations. Though his behavior is generally tolerated, Mercer and Grayson on different occasions have blown up at him for trying to speak with them at bad times. He openly wishes to be involved in pranks on others.
Dann and his unnamed alien species were one of the first designed aliens for the show. In November, 2016, Howard Berger - then make-up department head - dressed Dirk Rogers as the alien and presented him to Seth MacFarlane. MacFarlane was impressed and the character Dann was born: "Oh, my God. I love this character. I'm going to write this character into the script."
Initially, MacFarlane wanted Rogers to play Dann but Berger wanted keep to his co-worker free to work on new design prototypes. Actor Mike Henry was cast in his place, although Rogers does appear as an alien scientist named Samm of the same species in the pilot episode.
- Dann loves refinishing antique furniture and enjoys banana nut pancakes.
- Two members of Dann's as yet unnamed species, wearing grey uniforms, can be seen in the background among the crew as Ed Mercer briefs them before the launch of the Orville in Old Wounds, though Dann himself is absent. Another such alien makes a more prominent appearance as a scientist at the Epsilon Science Station.
- According to Howard Berger, the scientist's name is Samm.
- Dann picks out the song "The Straight Life" by Bobby Goldsboro for the elevator.
- Dann the Alien Official Site - Contains many behind-the-scenes production photos from the first two seasons
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Episode 1x01: Old Wounds
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Episode 1x11: New Dimensions
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "PLANETARY UNION NETWORK: EPISODE 20". Planetary Union Network. June 17, 2018.
- ↑ Henry, Mike. "Got busted today for @TheOrville season 2 on @FOXTV". Twitter. Jan. 28, 2018.