Ed was at the top of his class at Union Point and all of his teachers thought that he'd be captaining a heavy cruiser before he reached 40. Prior to the command of the Orville, Ed was married to his current first officer, Kelly Grayson. His marriage fell apart when he found out that Kelly was cheating on him with Darulio. Ed would've been promoted to the rank of Captain sooner, but after his divorce, he was sloppy and was reported six times for coming into work hungover.
About a GirlEdit
If the Stars Should AppearEdit
- His best friend is Gordon Malloy.
- He claims to be able to make really good macaroni men.
- According to Admiral Halsey, Ed was not only top of his class at Union Point but was so highly regarded by his professors that they believed he would be captaining a heavy cruiser before 40, a feat practically unheard of in the Union Fleet.
- Ed seems to be a fan of The Muppets judging by a Kermit plush found on his desk, whom he also claims to admire as a leader.
- In Season 1, he is in his 40's, meaning that he was born in the 2370's.
- He hates opera.
- He doesn't like listening to people eat cereal.
- According to Kelly Grayson, when he's really in pain he gives straight answers with no cursing.
- It seems as though Ed Mercer knows about tv shows from 400 years ago judging by his continuous references to 20th and 21st century pop culture.
- He claims to get only one hour of free time every week.
- He is awkward in elevators.
- He is from Boxford, Massachusetts.
- He is right-handed.
- When he was 10, his mother took him to the Salem history museum, which "Scared the crap out of him", due to the holographic recreation of the origation, which caused him to have nightmares for a month afterwards.