Scott Grimes was raised on science fiction as a child, which engendered his enthusiasm for the genre. He later recalled that one of his favorite memories as a child was seeing the movie Forbidden Planet with his grandfather. Even today, Grimes counts himself as a fan of The Twilight Zone and Star Wars (although not Star Trek).[n 1]
Grimes acted in a number of movies from the 1980s through 1990s, including the film Critters in 1986. Seth MacFarlane, later the creator of The Orville, watched Critters as a teenager, and for that reason connected with Grimes later. MacFarlane cast Grimes as the voice of Steve Smith on Seth MacFarlane's animated comedy "American Dad"." Grimes has also played roles in television projects such as Family Guy, ER and Dexter.
Grimes was signed to the show not having reading the script after speaking over the phone with Seth MacFarlane, who merely described the show to him.
MacFarlane wrote the character of Gordon with Scott in mind. Grimes later said of his character: "I’m the kind of best friend frat boy who’ll get you into trouble and also get you OUT of trouble. I might have a cocktail at the wrong time or make the wrong decision, but it’s always from the heart. And I can drive the ship like nobody’s business so that’s why I’m there."
Unusual though it may seem, Scott has actually advocated against giving his character a dedicated episode:
Seth actually asked me early on in the show, ‘Do you wanna delve into Gordon and who he is and where he’s from?’ And I said, ‘Don’t worry about me.’ Eventually, if the audience likes this character we can figure something out. But it’s not necessary for me to have a whole episode where you find out who my father is or why I don’t have one. I find that to be self-important. Everyone else can have that, I’m not bagging on them, but that’s not needed for Gordon at all. That’s my job on this show and I’m really happy people respond to it.
- One of his favorite scenes in season one is when Ed confusedly admits his romantic interest in Darulio to Gordon in Ed's quarters.
- Scott has said that, for better or worse, he drinks roughly as much as his character, Gordon.
- He hated wearing a Krill costume in the episode Krill.
- He has also said of his character that Gordon may be a jerk but is also a fun guy "that can open a bottle of beer with his asshole."
- ↑ The reason why he did not like Star Trek is because he found television special effects for space to be "cheesy." See Grae Westgate, "“I’VE NEVER ACTUALLY TOUCHED BOOBS BEFORE” – SCOTT GRIMES (THE VH INTERVIEW)", Vulture Hound (Nov. 12, 2017).
- ↑ "THE ORVILLE Exclusive Seth MacFarlane & Cast Interviews - #SDCC 2017". JoBlo TV Show Trailers. July 23, 2017.
- ↑ "NYCC 2017: Adrianne Palicki & Scott Grimes - The Orville". WithAnAccentTV. Oct. 13, 2017.
- ↑ Twitch. "The Orville • New York Comic Con 2017 • interview". Youtube. Oct. 7, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 "THE ORVILLE PODCAST EP 14 - THE SCOTT GRIMES INTERVIEW". The Orville Podcast. Dec. 8, 2017.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Stuart, Alistair. "Scott Grimes Interview: The Orville actor on boldly going the MacFarlane way". MYMBuzz. Dec. 7, 2017.
- ↑ Video by The Paley Center for Media. March 17, 2018.