Fearing their female child would be outcast by Moclan society, Bortus and Klyden petition Doctor Claire Finn for sex reassignment surgery. She refuses, so the couple unsuccessfully appeals to Captain Ed Mercer to order Finn to perform the operation. Mercer denies the appeal.
After watching the film Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Bortus changes his mind and opposes the surgery, but Klyden is adamant the procedure take place. The disagreement leads to a formal Tribunal on the planet Moclus. The jury finds in favor of Klyden, and the surgery is performed by Moclan doctors the following day.
Later, alone in their quarters, Bortus and Klyden name their baby Topa.
- Episode 1x01: Old Wounds (mentioned only)
- Episode 1x02: Command Performance (as an egg)
- Episode 1x03: About a Girl
- Episode 1x04: If the Stars Should Appear
- Episode 1x09: Cupid's Dagger
- Episode 1x12: Mad Idolatry (mentioned only)